One of our readers, Sarah O'Neill, sent us some interesting questions which you can use to "interview" fantasy characters in order to learn more about them and get story ideas.
How would your characters answer these questions?
1) What is your full name (middle name included)
2) Where were you born/ raised?
3) Were you popular as a child? Explain why or why not.
4) Describe five aspects of each of your parents.
5) Do you have any siblings? What are their names, how many are there, and what are your views about them?
6) Did you ever train with a master or at a school? If so, what for?
7) Do you have any work experience? Describe.
8) How do you spend your spare time?
9) Any personal enemies? If so who and why?
10) How devoted are you to your God?
11) Are you allergic to anything?
12) Are you a light or a heavy drinker? What type of drunkard are you?
13) Have you committed any crimes? Details, please.
14) Would you rather...
15) Any piercings, tattoos, scars or birthmarks/moles? Describe.
16) Do people consider you to be a...
17) How do animals act around you? (are they terrified, friendly, aggressive etc..)
18) If you are lost in a forest, what do you do?
19) What do you prefer?
20) What condition are your teeth in? ( Do you have.. cavities, a golden tooth, or perfectly straight teeth?)
21) Do you have any facial hair? Describe it.
22) Are you able to sleep during the day? Are you a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Do you drool, sleeptalk, snore, sleepwalk, have nightmares or dreams?
23) Describe your diet. (example: Vegetarian)
24) What is your opinion on outer space?
25) Can you read the stars?
26) Describe your hands. (dirt under the nails, weather-worn etc.)
27) Have you gone to prison?
28) Are there any particular monsters you despise or would like to fight? Explain.
29) Would you run or fight in a battle? What are the causes?
30) Do you consider yourself as...
31) Do you have any royal blood?
See more questionnaires for writing character profiles.
Get fiction writing tips on character development.
Get advice on how to write fantasy
Read our interview with Nicole Peeler on fantasy writing.
<< BACK from Creating Fantasy Characters to Creative Writing Now HOME