Creative Writing Prompts for Poetry
Here, you'll find HUNDREDS of creative writing prompts for your poetry.
The prompts and ideas on this website intentionally open-ended. Each prompt can be approached in many different ways. Whether you are a traditional poet or an experimental one; whether your poetry is lyrical, humorous, or dark; you can make these prompts work for you.
The open-ended design of these prompts also means that you can return to the same prompt again and again, producing a different poem each time.
Ready to write some poems?
Creative Writing Prompts
1) Write a poem about one or all of the four seasons. (Some ideas for brainstorming: What does the season look, feel, smell like? What memories do you associate with that season?).
2) Write a poem using three of the following words: expensive, lampshade, bruise, convincing.
3) Write a poem about something that happened to someone you know. Write about it as if it had happened to you.
4) Write a poem about your shadow. (Some ideas for brainstorming: How does it change when you move? What does it look like in different kinds of light, in different situations? What would happen if you lost it? Does it have a secret life?)
5) Write a poem using all of the following words: smooth, soothe, work, dark.
6) Write a poem based on a dream you had. Try to reproduce the sensations of the dream.
7) Write a poem based on your belief about life after death... or about what you WISH you believed.
8) Write a poem using all of the following words: snake, honey, thaw.
9) Write a poem from the perspective of a character in a fairy tale.
10) Write a poem using all of the following words: moth, angle, cloth, tangle.
11) Write a poem that tells the story of a specific love affair or marriage.
12) Write a poem in the form of a message or letter to your future self.
13) Write a poem about the color red or another color. (Some ideas for brainstorming: How does the color make you feel? What things do you associate with that color?)
14) Write a poem about a place that frightens you or a place where you feel happy. Try
to recreate the feeling of the place.
15) Write a poem using all of the following words: exquisite, visit, glisten.
16) Write a poem about something or someone you lost.
17) Write a poem using all of the following words: dim, hinge, dingy.
19) Write a poem in the form of a lullaby.
20) Write a poem about yourself in which nothing is true.Do you like this page? Please click the +1 button to recommend it.
So Many More Creative Writing Prompts...
Click here for more poem starters.
Then if that's not enough for you...
Click here even more poetry ideas.
And you just can't stop writing...
Click here for still MORE more poetry prompts.
<< BACK from Creative Writing Prompts to Creative Writing Now Home