Poetry Prompts and Poem Starters
Here you'll find lots of poetry prompts you can use for your poems. (If you're looking instead for short story topics, click here). At the bottom of the page, you'll find links to even more poetry ideas and advice on how to write poetry.
Poem starters - Write a poem about:
Write instructions for how to:
- Three wishes
- Traveling to an unknown place
- Getting a haircut
- A scientific fact (real or invented)
- An insect that got into your home
- The sound of a specific language
- The number 3
- The ocean
- Missing someone
- Something that makes you angry
- The feeling of writing, why you want to be a writer
- The ups and downs of love
- The view out your window
- City lights at night
- A particular work of art
- Having a superpower
- Being in an airplane
- Playing a sport
- A shadow
- A person transformed into an animal
Write a poem that contains all three words from one of these lists:
- Kiss well
- Find happiness
- Peel a peach
- "Silky," "gigantic," and "puzzle."
- "Leaf," "accelerating," and "sticky."
- "Skin," "drastic," and "dusty."
- "Interrupt," "nutmeg," and "crystalline."
- "Exacting," "oxygen," and "delicate."
- "Reptilian," "arched," and "honey."
Even more poem starters
Keep writing! Choose one of the links below.
Get more poetry ideas
Learn about how to write poetry
Get creative writing prompts for fiction
View a list of pages with poem starters
<< BACK from Poetry Prompts to Creative Writing Ideas Home