Ideas for Novels and Stories
Here are some ideas for novels and stories to spark your imagination and help your fiction stand out. At the bottom of the page, you'll find links to hundreds more story starters and prompts.
Your character's desire...
Stories are more interesting when the main character wants something intensely. Readers will keep reading to find out if the character achieves his or her goal. Below are some ideas for novels or stories based on characters who have powerful desires.
- a reader of romance novels who wants to live a love story of her own.
- an amateur naturalist whose dream is to discover a new type of animal.
- a character who wants to achieve a world record -- he doesn't care for what.
- a character who dreams of starting a new life in a foreign country.
- a character who wants to rob a jewelry shop and has a foolproof (s/he hopes) plan to get away with it.
- a character with no living grandparents, who wants to adopt a grandmother.
20 professions for your main character
Here is a list of interesting professions for your main character. See what story ideas they bring to mind.
- Taxi driver
- Scuba instructor
- Marriage counselor
- Prison guard
- Beauty pageant contestant
- Cookbook author
- Computer hacker
- Lead singer of an unsuccessful rock band
- Gossip magazine journalist
- Divorce lawyer
- Animal trainer
- Video game designer
- High school football coach
- Flight attendant
- Stunt actor
- What kind of person would you expect to find in this profession? See if you can play against stereotypes and surprise the reader.
- What kind of interesting situation might someone in this profession encounter? What kind of trouble might he/she run into? How might s/he react?
10 great story settings
Here are some setting ideas that you can use as story starters.
Write a story that takes place...
- in a tattoo parlor
- at the zoo at night
- in an abandoned mental hospital
- in a submarine
- in a magnet factory
- in the vault of a bank
- in a bridal shop
- in the kitchen of Buckingham Palace
- on the edge of a cliff
- entirely in the dark
Story Ideas - Next Steps
Sign up to receive story ideas
and writing tips by e-mail. It's free!
We have hundreds of fiction writing ideas and prompts on our website. Here are some links to browse:
Return to the Creative Writing Ideas Blog
<< BACK from Ideas for Novels to Creative Writing Now Home